Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Focus...

So..this is a blog? I feel pretty special writing one, even if I did volunteer for the duty (certainly, the staff was going to ASK me, I just beat them to it).

At this point I’m calling this blog “Focus” because that’s what it is; it’s about what I Focus on and about the time I spend as Executive Director of the Georgia Society of CPAs, which may seem easy when viewed externally, but believe me, it is interesting (and sometimes it is hard being me!). There is so much involved with my position, such as: organizational expert, CEO style management, ringmaster of many, many personalities, an internal world, and external world, national meetings with personalities and egos “aplenty,” state politics and lobbying, and much, much more. Not many people know the full responsibilities of the Executive Director and that’s one of the goals I have with this blog: to let those that are interested learn more about my specific job and the role I play in the CPA profession in Georgia and nationally. The other goal is simply to be me and have readers get to know me and how I approach work and life. I had a President once say, “before I was President of the society I didn’t really know what Gary did, and after I was President I didn’t know how he managed to do all that he does.” That’s about the size of it; I’m an enigma to many folks. We’ll get that straightened out soon enough I hope!

If you follow along, we’ll travel through the upcoming year and through the issues, experiences, personalities, frustrations and accomplishments and you may even hear a little about my golf game (feel free to skip over that part if you want to; It’s pretty sad anyway).

I hope you will follow along with our Incoming President Bob Prator as well. He’ll also be blogging through the year. He’s calling it “Just My Thoughts” and it will be interesting!

GJ